4.03.2006

Oh No! I'm That Mom!

A couple of weeks ago, Kristen over at Motherhood Uncensored wrote a post about being that mom.

"And then it hit me. I am that mom. The one I hate talking to on the phone because it’s clear that I don’t have her full attention for any part of our conversation."

I read her post and laughed because I know moms like that. You call up your best friend for some moral support after a fight with your hubby and end up feeling annoyed that she was yelling at her son the entire time.

Well Kristen, I'd like my membership card now, thank you very much!

Yesterday, I was on the phone with my mother and the conversation went something like this ...

Me: "Hi mom, what's going on?"
Her: "Nothing, just got back from the store."
Me: "Oh yeah, where'd you go?"
J: "Mommy, play with me?"
Me: "Hold on sweetie, I'm on the phone with Grandma. I'll play with you in one minute."
Me: "Sorry Ma, so where'd you go?"
J: "Mommy play with me please?"
Me: "One second sweetie."
Me: "Sorry, so you were saying ..."
Her: "Nothing, I just went to Anne Taylor for some ....
J: "Mommy play with me Pleeeeeease!"
Me: (in a stern voice) "I will play with you in one minute. I am on the phone!"
Her: "Do you want to call me back?"
Me: "No, it's okay. What did you get an Ann Klein?"
Her: "No, I went to Ann ...
J: "Mommy, I want to play puzzles."
Me: "JULIANNA, I AM ON THE PHONE!"
J: "Waaaaaaaaaaaaaa, Waaaaaaaaaaaa, Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Me: "Mom, Can I call you back?"

Now, I'm sure my mother has probably done the same thing. I mean, she had four kids for christ's sake. Still, it's frustrating when you're trying to have a conversation and this tiny person keeps interrupting and won't leave you alone.

I guess it's time for me to fess up and join the club.

Hello, My name is Stacy and I am That Mom!!!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome. Say it with me:

It's okay to call back.
It's okay to call back.

(I'm still trying to tell myself that). LOL

Anonymous said...

I am THAT mom too. I hear ya!

IzzyMom said...

I've been lucky. My daughter is pretty good about the phone. She usually just wants to know WHO I'm taking to. Her nosiness is another matter altogether....

Sandra said...

Well I'm THAT MOM too. Sad to admit but true!!!

This is how it goes in my house. Phone rings, kids appear out of nowhere and my dog latches on to my foot. Yeah I'm not joking, it's exactly how it is.
If you want your kids to appear out of nowhere, pick up the phone!!! LOL

Anonymous said...

I try to make sure she is sleeping when I make calls...but darn it it happens!!

ms blue said...

Phone etiquette is hard to teach. My two year old has taken to yelling, "I'll get it" when the phone rings. I then have to pry it out of her little hands.

Don't bother letting them have a turn chatting/singing to Grandma. I'll never get the phone back. Even my 8 month old is obsessed. I see us adding phone lines in my house especially in the teenage years.

Chicky Chicky Baby said...

Funny post! I'm not quite there yet, but soon will be. For me this is a glimpse into the future. Yikes!

Diane Viere said...

We've all been that mom...because the telephone...is like a magnet...to children. Yes, the little black thing Mommy is holding to her ear....is a sign to come a bother mommy! It's like Pavlov conditioning!

:) Diane

MrsFortune said...

I'm that person ... and not even a mom yet (just hate the phone) but I think your mom understands!!!

Anonymous said...

Hello, my name is Nancy, and I'm THAT MOM.

It doesn't help that my kids, even if engaged in play at the other side of the house, have super-sensitive radar that tells them when I'm on the phone. And that's the moment they critically need a glass of milk, potty trip, diaper change...

Andie D. said...

Egads, I'm that mom too. Not by choice, mind you. Out of sheer necessity. Afterall, I have to prevent my 4 year old from terrorizing the cat. The baby. Houseplants.

Oh god, everything!

Unknown said...

Been there done that and my son is only 8 mos. old. Well, I also have a 5 year old poodle. Today in fact I was strolling Justice, walking Joy, and on the phone at the same time, so I was really pushing it to have a conversation.

Bridgermama said...

I think all moms are "that mom" from time to time.

Diana said...

Hi my name is Diana and I just don't even bother with the phone anymore. My son likes to take the phone and then gives the caller the silent treatment as he smiles.