This is the first time I've had a job in years. I was home with Big J for a long time after I gave birth, not because I chose to be, but because I lost my job while I was pregnant. So, being part of the working world again has been quite an adjustment. I work nights so it's been exhausting to spend the whole day with the girls and then jet off to my job until 11:00. Plus, this time of year is stressful at my job. I work at a portrait studio so you can imagine my days. They're filled with screaming, crying children, frustrated parents, and, like the title suggests, annoying co-workers.
There is one guy in particular that really rubs me the wrong way. Let me just paint a picture for you. When I first started, he had these long, really gross dreadlocks. I don't mean to offend anyone, but I just don't understand the appeal of dreadlocks. Anyway, he's loud, rude, careless, and lazy. Quite a combination, don't ya think? I don't work with him all that much, but because the holidays are so busy, we've been crossing paths quite a bit. It's gotten to the point where I dread working with him. I usually end up in an arguement with him at some point during our shift. Because everyone else has complained about him to the manager, I don't want to add to her stress. I figured I would try to come up with a few ways to deal with him on my own.
1. Sabotage his sales. There are times when we're asked to enhance each other's images so that things in the studio run smoothly. I was thinking I could out myself in a position to enhance a session that he photographed and crop all the images horribly. I would leave in the worst pictures instead of deleting down. I would forget to add a border or spell the customer's name incorrectly.
2. Mess with his schedule. There are times when I'm working and he's not that he'll call to get his schedule. I could tell him the wrong days and times.
3. Treat him like a child There's nothing a guy hates more than a woman who acts like his mother. I'll just imagine I'm talking to a 4 year-old the next time he wants to have a conversation. You know, get down to his level, talk slowly and firmly, and threaten a time out if he doesn't cooperate.
4. Refuse to deal with him. I could just pretend he doesn't exist. When he asks me a question, I'll stare blankly in his direction. I won't say hello, goodbye, how are you or anything at all.
5. Confront him. I don't really like to fight with people. I'm actually really terrible at it. Still, everyone has a breaking point. I think my best bet is to just stand up for myself. The next time he wants to take a break after working only 2 hours while I've been there for 6 without lunch, I have to open my mouth. The next time he wants a favor from me after I've got my jacket on and I'm on my way out the door, I just have to say "I can't." The next time he's rude, I'll have to call him on it.
Have you ever had to deal with an annoying co-worker? What did you do?